Sunday, July 16, 2006

Today, went to drop my sister at her place. En route, we stopped at a Food World and while my sister was busy shopping, I was sitting inside the car. An interesting incident happened: a little kid dressed like Hanuman, including a long tail that went all the way up to his neck and missing only a mace, was going rounds in the parking area. He kept b(e|u)gging people for money. He came to me and I refused to give him money. Then he said something in a language that I could not understand. I told him that I did not understand. Then he gestured that he was very hungry. So, I gave him a 2 rupee coin (hunger sentiment generally works out pretty well!). When he accepted the money and turned back, I touched his tail (curiosity). It felt like a rubber tube or something like that. I'm sure it must have been heavy for that little kid. Anyways, the kid did not sense it (it was not a real tail) and he left for the next car.

Sometime passed and another car came. With arms streched out, our Hanuman rushed towards the car. Inside, a little kid about the same age as our Hanuman saw our "lord" and started shouting: Hanuman!, hanuman! Our hanuman looked at the kid and asked for money. The kid in turn joined his hands and bowed before our Hanuman. Our hanuman immediately withdrew his stretched arms and walked away. The kid in the car though kept screaming: Hanuman, hanuman!. I'm sure our Hanuman must have felt embarassed. I felt sorry for him. And this happened on the day after Kamaraj's birthday, the man who introduced free education and mid-day meal for the kids in Tamilnadu. Pity...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

even i have seen little kids like that dressed up. sad isn't it? i dont think one should have second thoughts about giving these kids money, they are after all trying to earn a living. since we dont help them in any other whats the harm in giving them a little money.

Krishna said...

But, once they think they get money through begging they will never improve. So, they should not be encouraged.