Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Fast compilers.

As I write this, g++ is grinding my hard disk trying to compile a simple application using the FOX toolkit. I'm a big fan of fast compilers (who is'nt ?). At work I use Delphi/Kylix which are very fast. When I write gtk+ apps I prefer the Tiny C Compiler to
compile and run the code during development (the final binary ofcourse will be produced by gcc). This compiler is arguably the fastest I've tried. Recently version 0.9.22 has been released.

From the website:


(Nov 8, 2004) TCC version 0.9.22 is out (Changelog). Linux kernel compilation is 30% faster (10 seconds on a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4).


Your own customised linux kernel in just 10 seconds !!! . Fantastic.

Another brutally fast compiler is the SmartEiffel Eiffel compiler. For a compiler that has to compile a fairly large language, do whole program optimizations and where the library is maintained only in source form, the compile times are excellent. Combined with tcc, SmartEiffel reduces build times considerably.

Other fast compilers that I occasionally dabble with:


  • Free Pascal - A delphi compatible compiler that works on a wide variety of hardware and software platforms. Actively maintained.

  • Digital Mars C++ - arguably the fastest C++ compiler around. Unfortunately win32 only.

0 comments: